Ladies and Gentlemen. Today Ruth has opened the secret vault and let everyone in on her special Smokey Chicken and Potato Salad. Oh yes my friends this is a special occasion, no one has ever seen this recipe, and it is definitely a keeper.
~Ruth’s Smokey Chicken and Potato Salad~
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, ( about 2lb./1kg) ,peeled, cut in 1/2 ,and cooked in boiling water, until just done
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery ,chopped
- 2 green onions ,sliced
- 2 apples , cored and chopped
- 1 lb or 1/2 kg cooked leftover chicken, chopped *
- 3/4 cup (175mL) real mayonaise
- 1/3 cup ( 75 mL) lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup(50mL) fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp(25mL) minced chopotle peppers in adobo sauce (or more if you like the heat)
- 1/2 tsp(2mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp(1mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp(1mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp(2mL) smoked paprika, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp (25mL) dijon mustard
Chop the potatoes into 1 inch(2.5cm) cubes. Place in a large bowl. Add the peppers, onions, celery, chicken and apples to bowl.
This is going to be mixed into the potato mixture. Whisk together the dressing ingredients, taste test.
Pour half of the dressing over potatoes and gently toss together , add more if you need to, otherwise you an save the rest of the dressing to put on at a later time , since the potatoes soak up the dressing , you may want to freshen it up the next day . If it lasts that long .
*I love using chicken from the previous night , cooked with a montreal spice. It gives the salad a great boost of flavor.
The dressing is a general guideline , and some people may like more mayo , some people may like it more smokey. So don’t be afraid to play with it and have fun. You could also add some bbq corn to it to dress it up with a little more color too . Let your imagination guide you .
Copyright © 2012