Souvlaki is a popular Greek fast food, consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer. It may be served on the skewer for eating out of hand or in pita sandwiches, or plated with roasted potatoes. The meat is usually pork, but may be made with other types of meat such as chicken, lamb, beef, or fish.
- 2lb (907g) Tender meat( pork, veal , beef or lamb, or boned chicken )
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 small carrot chopped fine
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large pinch of thyme
- 1 large pinch of coriander ground
- 4 large pinches of oregano
- 2 large pinches of whole cloves
- 4 large pinches of black pepper coarsely ground
- 2 bay leaves broken into pieces
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 4 tbsp(60mL) lemon juice
- 3 oz (90mL) olive oil
- 4 oz(60mL) white wine
Cut the meat into small cubes. In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients well and add the meat, mix again, cover and leave to marinate for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator. I like to use a ziplock back placed in a shallow container or bowl, takes up less room in the fridge.
When you are ready to cook it , take bamboo skewers that have soaked in some water for about 15 minutes, or use metal skewers, and thread the meat on the skewers. Grill over medium hot grill , until done “Pork is considered done when it reaches an average interior temperature of 75.9°C (170°F).” You can also do this on an indoor grill without the skewers if you like.
Serve with Tzatziki, and Roasted Potatoes, also good with some Tabbouleh Salad